Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cuddle Stars, Pay It Forward, and Quilty Fun

There is nothing better than finishing a quilt top. This one I call Cuddle Stars. It was made with some fat quarter bundles of flannels I purchased a couple of years ago during a huge summer sale at Hamels Fabrics in British Columbia on the west coast. I used the Lucky Stars pattern from Atkinson Designs that is the perfect project for using fat quarters.  


The quilt might look very familiar to you. I have made this same quilt twice. One quilt is mine that I use to "cuddle" up in as I watch TV, the same quilt that was used as the pattern for "My Wooden Quilt" and the borders of my blog post. You can read about it HERE

The second quilt was made about a year ago for my friend Shopper Mom.When I was making that quilt, I decided to cut enough fabric for two quilts at the same time. Finally, after spending time in a closet, the pieces were brought out and "Cuddle Stars" was reborn with a few extra fabrics thrown into the mix. 

All my quilts have to be tested first on the clothesline...


and of course, within a minute or two, the quilt was flying high!


I brought it down to earth and hung it over the railing on the deck. You can see where the fallen leaves gather on a windy day! 


My other flannel quilts were hand-quilted with perle cotton using a utility stitch, but this time, to save wear and tear on my wrist, I may send it out to be machine quilted.

Last March I hosted a Pay It Forward program on my blog in which three winners from the comments entered on that post would receive a small quilt. Quilt One went to Sue in Alberta at Chickadees Country Cottage Crafts. You can see it in Sue's house HERE. 

Quilt Two went to Kerstin at Cookies Treasures in Germany. She just recently received it and has shared beautiful pictures of my quilt (adorned by a vintage sewing machine) and the story on her blog. For some reason, I popped the small quilt into the mail to go to Germany without taking a picture first, so I borrowed a picture that Kerstin took of the quilt when it arrived at her house.

Kerstin is now hosting a Pay It Forward program at her blog. Make sure you visit her and enter for a chance to get involved in Paying It Forward so that you have the chance to win a little treasure. All the details are on her blog HERE.  Quilt 3 has also reached its destination and I'll blog about that at a later date.

A huge shout out goes to Rita, prolific quilter and designer, who blogs at Red Pepper Quilts. Her blog is filled with inspiration, her shop is filled with fabulous patterns, many on my "bucket list",  and she has wonderful and generous sponsors so is always hosting giveaways! 

I was the fortunate one recently to win a copy of Lori Holt's new book, "Quilty Fun". Lori blogs at Bee in My Bonnet. If you haven't visited her blog yet, you are missing a bucket full of quilty inspiration so visit soon. The book was a giveaway prize thanks to Rita's  sponsor, the Fat Quarter Shop. You can preview the book HERE

The best part of winning this book right now is that there is The Quilty Fun Sew Along and Blog Tour that just started. The Fat Quarter Shop is hosting this sampler sew along using Lori's book, nineteen bloggers to help us play, and promises of lots of prizes and giveaways. I am already seeing the first block of four apples popping up in blog land and I want to make an orchard too! Off I go to check the mail...

It's a great day to quilt!

21 comments:

  1. Your flannel quilt is gorgeous!! Love it fluttering in the breeze!! Just lovely!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The star quilt is gorgeous and I can imagine how soft and cuddly it is. I also like both of those mini PIF quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt. Love the name of your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuddle Stars is awesome looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A star quilt is always classy. ANd I love your 'blowing in the wind' photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your stars flannel quilt ! Great pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice finish, looks so pretty blowing in the wind, My tiny quilt I still have it thank goodness! it was in the upstairs bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful! I love those colors! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great looking quilt and what a smart thing to do to cut all the fabric for two quilts at the same time.
    I love my little Quilt an it has a special place at my house.
    Thanks for chosing me at the time for your pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your star quilt; it have a very mosaic look. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flannel quilt. I purchased fabric to make one a few years ago. It is still sitting all folded up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine how cosy those lovely flannels must be in your Cuddle Stars. Perfect to snuggle under. The wind always seems to know when you are heading outside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cuddle Stars is gorgeous. I can just imagine how cozy it is to snuggle under.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Cuddle Stars" is just wonderful! Great idea to cut out two at a time. I just loved your post about your wooden quilt. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great pattern... I have made it once and need to give it another go. Love it in the cozy flannels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! It took me forever to get through your post today, it was so rich with links to follow and stories to read! Your posts are always fun! Love your quilt, esp. when it's hanging on the line and the light of day (is that sun?) is shining through it. Actually, we had a bit of sunshine today, didn't we. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paying it forward...doesn't get much better than that. Great Kwilts !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love flannel quilts Lesley - made one several years ago from fabrics I bought while on a trip to Canada and just love it. I've not thought of buying fat quarters though and now you've got me wanting some! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!