Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's the Christmas QAL Weekend

It's so nice to be joining my friends around the world for our monthly Christmas QAL and Challenge weekend.  There is only one month left to go...is it only me, or was yesterday the first of September?

Ho Ho Hazel is our lovely host today at Hazel's Quilts.  If you are making anything Christmasy this weekend, or have decided to participate in the challenge of making a Christmas project without using red or green(!), please share with us by linking up at Hazel's place. She and Joanne of  Needle Thread Happiness have done a terrific job of sharing the hosting duties since the QAL started.


Last month I was busy finishing my dresdens and borders for my Christmas Dresden quilt and I am thrilled to tell you that the quilt top is a finish! I sewed, and sewed, and sewed, and finished the top on a cloudy day. The picture doesn't show the colours well, but I just couldn't wait to see the full quilt on the clothesline.



and then the sun came out and the wind blew...



I folded it carefully for transport and traveled to Sydney to leave it with Ange at Quilting on the Mira. I can't wait to see this one quilted!



So what am I working on today? I brought out my Nostalgic Christmas project tote and was thrilled to find that I have eight of the nine blocks already finished! (This is another one of Lovely Lynn's gorgeous designs that I started last year. You know Lynn of Sew'n Wild Oaks Country Charmer fame? Well, you should see her Heartfire quilt that is fast becoming my next favorite design. The pattern combines hexies, strip piecing, and red and white. Have a look HERE. What is not to like? I think this is going to be my next "Lynn quilt". Quilt Sue has started her blocks HERE and I am hearing they are slightly addictive?) 

This weekend it will be all about red and green and nostalgia. I started with a quick peek at my pile of blocks...



and then started cutting for my final block.



It took no time to add a few borders...



I chose the rest of the fabrics for this block, cut them to size, and will spend the weekend finishing the block and hopefully sewing the nine blocks together for my Nostalgic Christmas quilt. 


Lynn's quilt pattern finishes at 81" x 81" but I chose to make mine into a smaller version for a lap quilt. A perfect Christmas cuddle quilt, because you know I love Christmas!

On Monday, Canadians remember...

Thanks for coming by. Don't forget to visit the others at Hazel's house. I hear rumours of chocolate! 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely things you have going here, Lesley. Your Christmas Dresden is a beauty. And so is the Nostalgic Christmas; just beautiful. Monday is Veterans' Day here, too. Never Forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those Dresdens, Lesley - and what a great border too! I'm looking forward to seeing your final Nostalgic Christmas block, and the quilt put together.
    Remembrance Day here too on Monday, with the main services at Churches and Memorials around the country tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas Dresdens are just wonderful. How's it going to be quilted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you did such a lovely job on the dresdens! Love the Nostalgic blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dresden quilt is just beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! & you think I'm productive? Ha! I have a weakness for Dresdens that I've finally realized & I love yours...the border is amazing! Love Love Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful plaid on your Nostalgic block Lesley! I've always wanted to make a Dresden quilt. I have all the tools.....now I have your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this weekend was made just for you!! Your Dresden is stunning. I also love what you are working on today, cannot wait to see more. I clicked on the Lynn's quilt, yep, a beauty! Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Dresden quilt is gorgeous! Won't that be stunning when all quilted up, with the nice white spaces to show off the quilting?
    The Nostalgia quilt is sweet. Love the vintage looking panels in the centers of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great projects. The dresden if fabulous, and the Nostalgic prints in the other are too terrific for words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lesley, I am delighted to have stumbled over to your lovely blog. I am a new-bee quilter and I am searching the web for inspiration and any help that I can glean from experienced quilters like yourself. What I am finding is that everyone that has a quilting blog is so far away from my beginning level . . . but somewhere along the journey you have to take your first step, right. That's where I'm at.
    I am in the process of creating my first quilt (solo quilt) and learning as I go. I would love it if you would visit and I am open to any and all suggestions. My present goal is to make two cozy quilts, one each for my two granddaughters as Christmas gifts. I am blogging my progress and have just finished piecing and basting the front and back to the batting, ready to start quilting :)
    I am your newest follower, Connie :)
    P.S. do you have any past posts that show how to add binding; I am just not sure how to do this and have neat corners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Christmas dresden quilt Lesley…can't wait to see it all quilted :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Dresden is beautiful Lesley - you're not alone in not being able to wait to see it quilted!! I remember your nostalia project from last year and am happy to see it out again - another beauty in the making. Your new Sew'n Wild Oaks project sounds irrestible too!! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've really been busy with the Christmas projects. It's nice to be ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful Christmas Dresden!!! I'm in LOVE!!! Can't wait to see what the quilter does with it :) I had too many Thanksgiving deadlines this weekend so I couldn't join the Christmas QAL this month - bummer :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to see your Christmas dresden all done. I really like the borders on this one.
    Good luck with all the Christmas sewing you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the christmas quilt is very lovely. I like the colours. I bet it will be stunning once quilted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!