Monday, March 17, 2014

A Jewel Box From Start to Finish

With the kind of winter we've had, playing with bright and colorful fabrics gives me just the kind of boost I need in my sewing corner. "Jewel Box" was just the project I needed to get away from the winter blues, or should I say blahs! 



I was inspired by a pattern I found on the cover of the December issue of Fons and Porter's Easy Quilts. 



I adapted the pattern by removing the sashing between the "jewels" and made a total of twelve blocks resulting in a perfect cuddle quilt, about 45"x 60".



I had lots of fun playing with the blocks. I wanted this quilt to smile, so I used fabrics that were bright and bold, florals, tone on tones, and some fun novelty prints. The great thing about making these blocks was the creation of surplus HSTs.



I gathered them up in sets of four and made almost two dozen pinwheel blocks. These are now being sewn into a baby quilt which I'll show you down the road.

Another thing that I loved about making this quilt was how quick it was to sew together. My background in the blocks is a bright white solid, so I used the same fabric for the sashing and made some cornerstones using one of the pink fabrics. I bordered the quilt with a fine black and white stripe which toned it down just a tad.  






Then it was off to the LAQ. Ange from Quilting on the Mira did her magic and before I could turn around, the quilt was back home, the binding and label attached, and it was ready for its photo op.










I used a pale pink batik for the backing  which shows the quilting so well! 





And yet another wintry windy day in the Strait!



Thanks for coming by to visit. 

It's a great day for sewing!




30 comments:

  1. I like your 'alteration' to the original pattern - made a very pretty setting. And bonus triangles are always a plus. Now I would have been disappointed if there wasn't a flapping in the breeze picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out beautifully, Lesley, and the bonus HSTs would excite me, too! Can't wait to see the pinwheel quilt. Keep warm!! Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the clothesline picture looks great. It's a sweet quilt, and I love the cheerful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your finish....esp the ladybugs and sports fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute quilt. The lady bugs caught my eye. And the photos are great, especially the blowing in the wind is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another finish! You are on a roll. What a cutie this quilt is. I love it. So springy on this miserably cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful finish!!! I'm with you on the bright fabrics this time of year. I need them after ans still continuing long cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is beautiful. I love the colors in it too. That is a winter pick me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lesley, that's just the ticket to brighten up a long dreary winter! Such a lovely cuddle quilt. So glad to see you are back in your sewing corner. oowe, oowe, oowe, pinwheels are my favorite, can't wait to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Lesley,and it certainly makes me smile.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is lovely Lesley and looks so great against the snow!! I would be excited about the extra blocks too! You never know, such a pretty bright quilt may bring on some spring weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful Lesley! Such fun spring colors. :-) Happy St Patrick's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely quilt. Love the colors and the quilting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how bright and fresh it looks. The pink corner stones and the black and white border are great accents

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun quilt ! So Spring !

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty Lesley , love the bright spring Colors !

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun design--and definitely is like a soft Spring breeze! Great fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely colours, spring is on the way !

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is lovely, and a very happy looking quilt that is shouting out "summer's coming".

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt just glows against that blue sky - and I love that picture of it blowing in the wind! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a wonderful quilt, the colors are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet and bright! That should take the blahs away for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful colors and fabrics...nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Late again!! But here I am.
    This is a delightful quilt.. I like the variety of fabrics you have used and the way you have changed it up with out the sashing. Sometimes we need these quick quilts, especially after or during some of the more complex and time consuming ones. Love the quilting too.
    Congratulations on a quick and gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your latest creation says "SPRING!" Love the bright fabrics you used... and fabulous quilting!
    Goodness... glad this beauty was secured to the clothesline... I would hate for it to blow away... unless it ended up in my yard! (teehee!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really pretty Lesley. I love all the bright fabrics of course. And I agree with Sharon..it wouldn't be your post without the breezy picture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely. Just what we need to brighten things up. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love the bright, cheerful colors. So perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!