Monday, March 24, 2014

Darlene's Mystery a Finish

Remember that wonderful mystery quilt I started last year? Using scraps from my stash, the quilt began with a snowball centre and grew and grew and grew.  Quilt designer Darlene at Quilts by Darlene created this project for "Darlene's Mystery QAL" that I adored making, each and every step. 

Well, the quilt arrived home last week from longarm quilter, Alice, a friend of Kaaren of The Painted Quilt. Kaaren has shown us many quilts that have been beautifully quilted by Alice, so I knew my quilt would be wonderfully quilted with her special touch. After consulting with Alice, I decided to choose an edge to edge design that I think is the perfect pattern for my quilt. She did such a great job. Thank you, Alice!

I decided to bind the quilt with the same fabric I used for the backing. I cut the strips 2.25", added them end to end as needed, pressed them in half lengthwise and attached the binding. Because the quilt is so large (about 90" x 95"), and my sewing corner is so small, I brought my sewing machine to the dining room and spread my quilt out on the table to make it a little easier. And off I went...



I attached the binding to the front of the quilt and then I folded the strip over to the back. I then sewed again on the front using the "stitch in the ditch" to sew the binding in place. In the past, I have usually sewn my binding down by hand, but am now using the sewing machine to do this in order to reduce stress on my wrist. I'm very pleased with the result. The quilt might not win any ribbons with machine sewn binding, but it sure works for me!



Too cold and windy today to hang the quilt on the line, so I took a few pics in the spare room.






A few closeups of Alice's quilting...







Thank you, Darlene, for your free QAL. I love this quilt so much and am having lots of fun peeking at all those fabrics I used from my stash, some kind of new, and a lot not so new. I think they all work well together. 

Darlene has started a new blog for her new quilt shop, "A Needle Pulling Thread". She also posts pictures of her fabric, wools, notions and pattern arrivals in her shop through her Facebook page. She is only a phone call or an email away if you want to place an order. Ask me how I know... 

If you want to read more about my making of Darlene's Mystery quilt and see more pics of the process, just enter the words "Darlene's Mystery"  in the search bar on my sidebar. 


It's a great day for quilting!


46 comments:

  1. It looks like a meandering open feather motif - lovely accent to the quilt. Oh, you don't want that one to blow away in the wind for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that turned out nice!! I frequently sew bindings that way especially commission projects

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so stuffy as to think bindings have to be done by hand, especially if you take care and your stitching is consistent. Remember when the quilt police wouldn't stand for machine quilting...we all move along. It's especially good for you if it means you can continue this activity you love without pain, just doing it a little differently. And the quilt looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful scrap quilt! Nice quilting design, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wins a ribbon in my book. The blue backing looks nice and the quilt design is perfect. I know what you mean about enjoying the fabric patches in a scrap quilt; I love that, too. It makes the quilt more special. Nice job all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt Lesley…love all the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt ! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful, Lesley! Your care with your wrist is much more important than a prize winning hand sewn binding. A healthy wrist and a beautifully finished quilt is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that is just so beautiful. What a wonderful finish. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finish, I may have to come and stay a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt, enjoy it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A glorious finish Lesley - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous finish, Lesley. It looks like it was designed specifically for that bed and bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt ... love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely finish, for sure! I've been sewing my binding by machine whenever possible because it makes such a sturdy edge. Enjoy your new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous Lesley! I love it. The colors/fabrics are beautiful! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the quilt! And I may have to try your method of binding. Lucky for you (!?!) this winter is never going to end, so you still have time to snuggle under the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lesley love the colours of the quilt and the quilting looks great from the back. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Start up that marching band...take it to the streets!! THE QUILT is finished and is magnificent!! Well done, Lesley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lesley,
    It turned out wonderful! Oh my, so tempting to start looking at the instructions and making it. I may just have to bookmark it for later. I'm already knee deep in UFOs!
    Great job!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a great job of picking your colors your quilt looks great. Even though I have a "Stash" I seem to buy kits because I am not good a pulling my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fabulous. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks beautiful Lesley , the quilting looks just lovely and does suit the quilt !! Great job as usual :-) Congrats on a fantastic finish , yeah to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a wonderful quilt. The quilting is wonderful also. reminds me to get my top from Darlenes Mystery out and finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a finish, Lesley! One to be very proud of for sure! Now you can look back and remember each piece of fabric from your other projects!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Lesley it is a beautiful quilt! Wow, just wonderful. Congratulations on a fantastic job. I ran out of fabric but will make one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a wonderful finish. Your quilt is beautiful and the quilting suits it so well. Love seeing it on the bed.
    Great idea to machine stitch the binding. You have to be smart if you want to look after your wrist!.
    Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lesley the quilt turned out lovely and the quilting is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lesley, I must say how much I love this quilt and the quilting that Alice did. Does she do this for a living or just as a favor? I loved following your quilt in progress so much that I went on Darlene's web site and followed her instructions and I am thrilled with the results of my own. About half way there but will post mine on Facebook when I finish it. This is one quilt that I will be keeping all for myself! lol. Thanks so much for sharing your quilting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, I tried to send you a reply but it says you are a no reply blogger. Thanks for coming by and saying such wonderful things. Send me an email and I'll give you the info. I am so glad to hear that you are also making the mystery quilt!

      Delete
  30. Gorgeous quilt Lesley,takes my breath away all that work.just stunning.x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilt turned out beautifully Lesley! Thanks for the links to me!! Enjoy your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your quilt turned out beautifully Lesley! Thanks for the links to me!! Enjoy your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely stunning, Lesley!! It looks so pretty on the bed. You did a wonderful job. I will bind smaller items that way, but I don't always catch the binding on the back, no matter how careful I think I'm being. Glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful, beautiful quilt Lesley! I put my bindings on the same way and I think they will hold up better.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think it turned out really wonderful. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful quilt Lesley!!! And it is quilted perfectly :) I do most of my bindings by machine now, just like you did yours. I just don't have the time to spend on hand sewing unless it is going to go in a show - and I've even won blue ribbons on a few that were machine sewn. As long as it is done well, I don't think it really matters anymore to most judges. Machine binding is so much more sturdy too :*)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's so beautiful! And you're right, the quilting is gorgeous! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  38. Done and on the bed! It is just amazing Lesley. A family heirloom for sure. What a great job with the quilting. It's perfect. I am jealous now, I need to get mine done and on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a beauty, the quilting is so wonderful. Looks great on the bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats on finishing your mystery Quilt! It is lovely on the bed.

    LuAnn in Oregon
    luannkessi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!