Monday, March 31, 2014

You Had Me At Merlot

My DD is celebrating a birthday this week so I filled a box of goodies last week and mailed it out to her. Everything arrived safely in time for her big day, so I thought I would show you a couple of items I made for her. 

I had purchased a pack of wine-themed fat quarters awhile back. The fabric is called "You Had Me at Merlot" by Daphne B. at Wilmington Prints. I thought it was an awesome pack of FQs and I wanted to use it for someone special! 





Do you notice anything about the tote?  It's the same tote, but it has two different sides. Both sides are made using the wine themed fabrics featuring everything wine-related including pictures of glasses of wine, corkscrews, wine labels, and some wine text! 

I machine quilted the background fabrics with a cross hatch design...





and found a beautiful pale yellow toile for the lining.




I think every tote should have a zippered pocket because it is too easy to lose things, or is that just me? Anyway, I made a little zippered pocket, added a label, and sewed it to the lining.





I have two sets of labels...one set says "The Cuddle Quilter" and one set says "Love and Hugs from Lesley. " Looks like I need another set that says "Love from Mom!"



I reinforced the straps to make them extra sturdy. The tote has three outside pockets on each side and a reinforced bottom. A perfect size for DD to take with her when shopping or visiting!






Want to makeone yourself? The Shopper's Fancy Tote pattern, designed by Jo-Lydia's Attic, is available free at the Connecting Threads web site HERE.  Designer Jo-Lydia, has several more beautiful patterns that you can purchase as a PDF file HERE.

Keeping with the domestic diva approach, I decided to add a personalized apron for DD in the birthday goodie box. To find a pattern, I googled and found a video tutorial by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. She shows us how to make an apron using a pair of tea towels. Off I went to our local grocery store, arriving home with a pair of coordinated tea towels that definitely made me think of Spring. I probably should have washed them first, because you know how tea towels like to shrink, but I wanted them to look new and fresh when they became an apron. Wash that apron with care, DD! 





I think it turned out pretty cute, so I plan on making more aprons in my future. I didn't want the letters to overpower the apron front, so I used a polka-dot fabric I found in my stash.

If you want to make an apron, here are Jenny's videos in two parts.






I also picked up a journal at our local department store, made a fabric cover for it, appliqued it with the letter A, and added it to the goodie box. I forgot to take a picture, but it is something I'd like to make again so next time I'll keep a camera ready!

It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. What a sweet package of things made by Mom! Oh, I want to make that tote, but it will have to wait in line. Thanks for the pattern link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute bag can't believe you still have that much snow. still waiting for it here

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a veryyyyyy lucky daughter. Great fabric as well. Happy Birthday to your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter would have been absolutely delighted, Lesley... such lovely gifts :-) I like the ides of a zippered puch inside the bag. Thank you for the links and hints :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift box to recieve - fun fabrics for a tote. One of our guild members made those aprons - quick and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! You win the award for creativity this week Lesley! Love the tote and that apron is just too, too cute! Your DD is a very lucky girl :*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Thanks so much for the nice pics and link to get this pattern. I cannot wait to make one or two of these also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your daughter. She must have loved receiving a beautiful tote that was filled with more beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift. I hope Alison's friends are not too disappointed if she goes out without wine in that bag. :)

    Thanks for sharing the apron tutorial link too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What delightful homemade gifts for your daughter! I love that tote and the fabric choices are just perfect. The apron is wonderful too. It's nice to have such a handy mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allison's gifts are wonderful Lesley , I am sure she was extra pleased . A really great tote and the apron is so cute , you are so creative .

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lucky daughter to receive this lovely tote bag & apron. I have seen the wine theme fabric in person and I had to control myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Allison's gifts are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're an awesome Mom! What a wonderful birthday gifts made with lots of thought and love. Love that bag and the apron is just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that is a goodie box any daughter would love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Handmade gifts from Mom are always the best (that's what my daughter tells me all the time!!) Bet your daughter loves them…and Happy Birthday to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous gifts. And Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    The tote is lovely. I really like the way you have used the fabric. And the apron is great, too.
    Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful gifts made with love and from your heart. P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful gifts. I love it when I get something hand made.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty, I'm sure Alison will be pleased as punch!
    Happy Birthday Alison...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that tote bag Lesley! And the added zipper pocket is a great idea. Thanks for the link...I'm going to download the pattern. And I'm a sucker for aprons so this one really made me smile. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. The tote and apron are lovely. I'm sure that your daughter was delighted when she opened the box.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!