Monday, April 7, 2014

Neighbourhoods in the Making

Seems like it is all about neighbourhoods in my sewing corner. Last year I started a quilt designed by Kathy Schmitz called A CottageYear. It's a great name for this quilt, since each block's embroidered cottage features a different month and it seems to have taken me a year to make it! The quilt top is now a finish and it is off to the LAQ.



The weather didn't cooperate at all for taking pictures outside last week...snow, snow, and more snow. I am afraid to say it aloud,but the snow seems to be melting today, thank goodness. 

Shopper/Quilter Mary gifted me with a wonderful ladder at Christmas for displaying my quilty projects, so I put it in use for an indoor pic of A Cottage Year.




This quilt was one of those quilts that was a joy to make from start to finish. I loved each and every stitchery. In fact, each one brings back fond memories of travelling West for our daughter's wedding last summer...a perfect take-along project to work on while sitting on their front deck enjoying our flavored coffees and the sunrise over their new neighbourhood.

So back to the present. This is how the quilt came together this week. I started by framing my centre blocks with the black and tan leaf print in the Little Gatherings line that I had in my stash.



I chose my reds and creams also from my stash, starting with this group, adding and deleting as I went along.



Then I cut the strips for the log cabin blocks. In fact, I cut some extra so I could audition a few, deciding to use the reds that read like solids, and the cream prints that were more cream than red.






I love making log cabin blocks...there is nothing easier, so they came together very quickly.



And I love cornerstones and sashing...



There is nothing better than seeing the quilt grow...



It will be a delight to see the finished quilt when it is returned to me, all quilted and cozy from the longarmer.

In other neighbourhood news,  my Country Homecomings has grown as well since since I first posted about my start HERE. As of today the twelve homespun houses have been connected, windows and doors machine appliqued, and the borders attached.



Although I had originally purchased a homespun for the borders, I decided to use a cozy flannel instead that was in my stash. The flannel reads more like a solid and I think it will let the applique shine, and of course, make the quilt more cuddly. I have combined the use of homespuns, flannels, and regular quilter's cotton in the past and have never been disappointed!  

The appliqued border will be made up of vines, stars and berries. I chose another cuddly flannel for the gold checked stars, used my Steam a Seam, and cut them out ready to go using my Star die for my Go! Baby cutter. The vine fabric is ready to cut into strips and I'll use a bias tape maker to make the vines. 



The berries will be cut using a variety of red homespuns. I have an Olfa Rotary circle cutter that does an awesome job so I'll use that to cut the berries, and again will adhere the fabric first to the fusible web so the berries will be ready to press in place and machine embroider.

I'm a little long winded today...just catching up after a week suffering with a cold that knows no end. I have been down for the count and am finally seeing the other side. The good news is that I have had no arm issues this week, probably because my arm hasn't been busy sewing, quilting, or computering! I did find out that my wrist issue is actually related to the onset of arthritis. Why do I feel too young to be this old? 

I'll be taking a break from computers and blogland for awhile. Lots of resting, relaxing, and family time planned. See you later in May...and the snow better be gone by then!

Thanks for coming by. It's always a great day for quilting...

29 comments:

  1. I love your Cottage Year quilt! And I love quilts that have stories or memories attached! That makes this one extra special. I haven't done a lot of quilting lately but I hope to get some time this week. Oh yeah, just got my new Oliso iron and love it! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both house quilts are stunning and each has it's personality. Enjoy your relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, have a wonderful vacation. Have fun. Second, I love your Cottage Year quilt, one reason is because the log cabin is my very favorite block (along with so many other "favorite" blocks, wink, wink.) Your Country Homecomings is sweet, too. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We cannot be old enough to have arthritis! Enjoy your time away and hopefully by late May the snow will be gone, and we will all have green grass, warmer temperatures, and flowers. Love your houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great "neighborhoods, Lesley!
    Love black/red/cream together!
    And the homespuns and flannels are so cozy together!
    Definitely some good "cuddlers" in creation here! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts Lesley,especially like the cottage garden.Have a good holiday and rest that arm.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love a red white and black kwilt. Lookin good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these quilts are beautiful!
    I love the stitchery blocks in A Cottage Year and your house quilt is looking wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are both fabulous , you have been very busy indeed . Sorry to hear you were under the weather , hope you feel better soon .

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Cottage Year looks like the perfect quilt to cozy up in! Great log cabin fabrics! Country Homecoming makes me want to do a house quilt... see what you've done!?!?!?!
    Enjoy the relaxing family time you have planned... well deserved I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both your quilts. The red, cream and black combo is just lovely. So nice when a quilt means so much. And your homespun houses are awesome. The border surely sets them off just right. Feel better soon and enjoy your break. If the snow isnt gone by May, I am moving! (just joking, I could never leave NS) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see what you have been up to - both quilts are lovely, and it's nice to read your process. Enjoy your break away - I hope you coe back fully recharged :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well, I love that homespun house quilt! Such fun,

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great quilts. Sorry about your cold, but maybe it's helped your arm if you haven't felt like doing anything. Enjoy your blog-break and family time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous quilts ... I can't wait to see the homespun house quilt after you've finished up those borders. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always encouraging to read that a project was a joy to stitch, from start to finish. Those are hard to find, and I'm glad you had such a good time.
    Quilts with houses are some of my favorites, whether the buildings are embroidered, or traditionally pieced, or even wonky and artsy. Your neighborhoods look great. The plaid project looks very familiar. I have that pattern (or a similar one) marked somewhere for my bucket list.
    Hopefully you're on the mend by now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both neighborhoods! Have a wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! Those are both so wonderful! Something so cozy about those quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work on the Cottage Year quilt. Lovely embroideries and log cabins. Hope the quilter is quick for you!!
    And Your Country Homecomings quilt is progressing well, too. Good luck with the applique.
    Hope you get well very quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This will be the perfect post to rejuvenate at Tuesday Archives Linky when HOUSES comes around in a few months!!! LOVE THESE!!! Val:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your neighborhoods are terrific. Enjoy your time away from the net and we'll see you when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Lesley, it's beautiful! You'd managed to get so much done. Glad your arm is healing finally and that you are taking some time to re-energize! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Kathy Schmitz patterns! I don't have this one and now I wish I did - your quilt is stunning! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your cottage quilt. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lesley, your work is beautiful. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day and a Happy Easter. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another beautiful quilt by you...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cottage quilt is lovely! I love stitchery myself and of course log cabins. Sorry to hear about the arthritis and hope it doesn't hamper you too much. Hope you have a nice relaxing month.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lesley, your homespun houses quilt is gorgeous!! Can't wait to see it finished!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, Leslie! Just looking at your cottage quilt for a second time and realized it would make a great signature quilt, too! Oh, my, the possibilities are endless!! Hope you come online soon. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!