I finished my Asterisk quilt top earlier this week. This was a quilt designed by Karen Griska published in Quiltmaker Reader Favorites Volume 1 Summer 2015. The pattern had been previously published in May/June 2010.
I used some delightful fabrics designed by Me and My Sister through Moda. How could I not love fabrics called LOL and Ticklish! I had so much fun playing with these gorgeous fabrics. Although I aimed at using contrast in the blocks, I wasn't too worried if the fabrics were a little close in tones and shades. The results just reminded me of an English flower garden.
The rows came together pretty quickly...
Rather than using a pieced border, I used two smaller borders, a blue tone on tone batik and a wider border of the floral Ticklish fabric.
After finishing this quilt, it was time to dig into my UFO bin.
This little quilt was started many years ago. The kit was purchased at Harbour Quilt Company outside Antigonish, a LQS that has since, sadly, closed down. Kim, the owner, had designed this quilt in 2008 and I purchased the kit when she was closing her doors. This little quilt has sat unfinished for several years. All the applique had been prepared and one corner had been done when I put it away.
Because the pieces had already been prepared using the fusible applique method, all I needed was a few sessions in my sewing room to press everything in place and then a few days doing the machine applique.
One day this week, between the three snow storms we had in six days, I opened the patio door and laid the finished top on the snow for a picture. And yes, the snow is still there!
This top finishes at 41" x 41". I have always loved using Kansas Troubles fabrics and really like the way Kim incorporated them in her design.
It's a great day for quilting!