Saturday, February 18, 2017

Asterisks and Flowers

We continue to have lots of snow so I am having many Snow-Sew Days, but if truth be told, as a retiree, I do have lots and lots of Sew Days. I just give them a different name in the winter!

I finished my Asterisk quilt top earlier this week. This was a quilt designed by Karen Griska published in Quiltmaker Reader Favorites Volume 1 Summer 2015. The pattern had been previously published in May/June 2010.



I used some delightful fabrics designed by Me and My Sister through Moda. How could I not love fabrics called LOL and Ticklish! I had so much fun playing with these gorgeous fabrics. Although I aimed at using contrast in the blocks, I wasn't too worried if the fabrics were a little close in tones and shades. The results just reminded me of an English flower garden.


The rows came together pretty quickly...


Rather than using a pieced border, I used two smaller borders, a blue tone on tone batik and a wider border of the floral Ticklish fabric.


Hubby managed to hold the quilt pretty steady for the picture. I like the finished size, about 50" x 55", so I should be able to quilt this fairly easily on my domestic machine. 

After finishing this quilt, it was time to dig into my UFO bin. 


This little quilt was started many years ago. The kit was purchased at Harbour Quilt Company outside Antigonish, a LQS that has since, sadly, closed down. Kim, the owner, had designed this quilt in 2008 and I purchased the kit when she was closing her doors. This little quilt has sat unfinished for several years. All the applique had been prepared and one corner had been done when I put it away. 


Because the pieces had already been prepared using the fusible applique method, all I needed was a few sessions in my sewing room to press everything in place and then a few days doing the machine applique.

One day this week, between the three snow storms we had in six days, I opened the patio door and laid the finished top on the snow for a picture. And yes, the snow is still there!


This top finishes at 41" x 41". I have always loved using Kansas Troubles fabrics and really like the way Kim incorporated them in her design.

It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. Two very different quilts, but both are beautiful. What we can get done when it snows us in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beauties here. Like you I'm retired so lots of sew days. The snow you guys are getting reminds me of my younger days when I was growing up in Nova Scotia. Having to wait until a neighbour came to dig us out, lol. Not much snow out west this winter I look forward to seeing more of your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful quilts,and great that you've finished a UFO.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are attacking your UFOs! Your Asterisk quilt top is so pretty - I love your choice of fabrics/colors. The Kansas Troubles quilt will be striking with the appliqué. Our weather has switched to warm for a while. It was 60F today! Next Saturday we are supposed to get cold again. I guess that means we have a week of springtime in February! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great finishes. Love the Karen Griska pattern with those fabrics. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that shop. I was so sad when she closed. You two projects turned put great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that shop. I was so sad when she closed. You two projects turned put great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lesley, I love both of these quilt tops! The asterisk quilt design is just plain fun. You made a great fabric color collection choice for that one. I could see this as a fireworks quilt design too. Your applique quilt also is an amazing design and work of art by you. This has been quite the winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful finishes! I love the colors in the asterisk quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two gorgeous finishes Lesley! Stay cosy in all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two lovely quilt tops Lesley - the little one looks great in the snow and I LOVE the asterisk quilt. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great finishes. Sorry to have to tell you but our snow is almost gone with temperatures in double digits this weekend here in TO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Asterik Quilt just sparkles! I love it. And your UFO was worthy of completing. Enjoy the snow while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Asterisk quilt is a joy to behold! The fabrics you chose are the perfect match for the design. Can't help but smile about that one!
    I love Kansas Troubles fabrics, too. That is a warm and cozy looking little quilt. Have you decided how you will use that one--table topper, wall hanging, small throw, or something altogether different?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two great finishes - I love that these quilts are so different from each other but both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, oh man, you come up with the prettiest quilts! Love that Asterisk quilt! Hope I get to see it in person! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like great weather for sewing Lesley:-) Both quilts are gorgeous - the Asterisk is very effective in the fabrics you chose and the smaller one is just extra cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt! You have such great taste in fabrics and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm tired of snow days....mainly because they require me to do far too much shovelling. Winter can go away any day now!!! I really like the colours in your Asterisk quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Asterisk is amazing! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two great quilts Lesley. Really like the Asterisk one - LOVE the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!