Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Asterisks Quilted and Lazy Log Cabin Ready

I do believe my Asterisks quilt may be one of my all-time favorites! It was such a fun quilt to make, with those wonderful fabrics by Me and My Sister. If you missed my last post about it, you can click HERE to see the quilt story. 

Once the top was finished, I knew I would quilt this one quickly! The designer suggested horizontal wavy lines about 2"- 3" apart, and coincidentally, so did my blog friend Linda who blogs at Scrapmaster HERE, so that is what I did. The quilting created a really cozy little quilt, so soft and so cuddly. It is too dark outside to take pics today, so I did my best with the kitchen chair.


Do you notice that the snow is gone from the back deck? Could Spring be on its way?



I used a white tone-on-tone backing and it seemed to work well.



And if there isn't room for a quilt, you can always use it as a soft cushion...



or maybe use it as a neck roll?  I do love these colours!



I still have so many beautiful scraps left from this fat quarter bundle, so I'm sure you will see these fabrics again sometime soon. 

Continuing on the theme of "bright colours", I ordered a couple of green and aqua bundles recently from Runaway Quilting, a Canadian quilt shop which also has an online quilt shop HERE.  The fabrics arrived really quickly, especially considering they had to come across the country.



I decided to make my version of a Lazy Log Cabin quilt. My inspiration for this quilt was seeing a gorgeous quilt made by Andrea at Tideline Quilts. She posted a picture of the quilt on her Facebook page on February 7 and with her help in giving me the name of the pattern, I was able to find the instructions. 

The quilt began with a lot of strip piecing.



By cutting the strips into triangles and sewing them together, the blocks came together pretty quickly, resembling log cabin blocks.




The 2 fat quarter bundles were almost enough for the entire quilt...I just needed to add a few short strips from my stash. The blocks are 12.5" unfinished so the quilt will be about 48" x 60".


I couldn't reproduce Andrea's quilt as she had made many more blocks for a bed-sized version, so I tried out several layouts with the 20 blocks I made and decided on this one...


Here I am poking my head out above the quilt on a very sunny, windy day, with thanks to Woodworker Hubby for taking the picture.


One of the joys of making this quilt was the leftovers!  Do you see the ends on the left? Well, there was also an end left on the right. 



I kept the ends, recut them a little smaller, added a few hourglass blocks, and I now have the makings of a little baby quilt! 



As you can tell, it's always a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. You always seem to have so much fun making your quilts. These are lovely and I think it was wonderful that you got a baby quilt as a bonus with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job quilting the asterisks quilt, but Lesley, there isn't one thing lazy about that log cabin! Wow! Is it ever striking! Your fabric choices really made this quilt something special! Enjoyed seeing how you used your leftovers! You really blow my mind, girl! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The completed Asterisk quilt looks so fresh and pretty.
    I hadn't heard of Lazy Log Cabin before, but it is stunning! Looks like prisms or the facets in jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, forgot to say, I love the baby quilt created from the trimmings. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love both of your quilts! They are both so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Asterisks Quilt is fantastic! I'm sure you'll love having it around. I was just playing with a block similar to your Lazy Log Cabin quilt blocks. I was only using three strips of fabric - I really like the four strips. I do love your layout with the lights and darks and the bonus baby quilt! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both quilts or I should say all three as you were so clever to use the cuttings to create the baby quilt ! You never cease to amaze me 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really in love with your asterisk quilt too! The colors are amazing and it just feels so happy. It looks like SO much sewing to get enough blocks. I'm not patient enough to sew that many, so I'll probably never have one for myself. :-( Your new quilt looks awesome and I love those colors too. The baby quilt also is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I thought you covered your chair with those asterisk - would be cool! Love the new log cabin quilt with this technique and a bonus quilt is always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot woot woot!! Awesome work Lesley! Your Astericks is absoltely gorgeous and I just LOVE the effect of your lazy log cabin - I am inspired!!!! (Great one getting a baby quilt out of it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've seen the lazy log cabin pattern before. Awesome!! Love your asterisk too. It certainly does look cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The asterisk quilt looks beautiful and I LOVE the lazy logs. What a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the asterisk quilt. The colour are very calming. The log cabin quilt is very pleasing to the eye. Great use of the cut offs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the asterisk quilt. I agree the colors are fabulous. Your lazy log cabin is wonderful too. Love those colors too. We haven't had much snow this year, then the freakishly warm weather. We have some confused robins that showed up the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Lesley! These are awesome! Love the Asterisk, but love the Lazy Log Cabin even more! Love, love love the teal/turquoise and yellowy-greens together. And smart use of the leftovers to create yet another quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your asterisk quilt is wonderful. Your fabric selection made this one work really well.
    And the lazy log cabin is a great idea. Such lovely fabrics. That is a very effective design.
    What a bonus to have a baby quilt in those fabrics as well. Definitely a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great new quilt. Love the colours. And awesome that you managed a baby quilt from the leftovers. Our snow is gone, but it's so very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great patterns and fun fabrics! I had not seen the "lazy" LC idea before - pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the asterisks! I made one of those once as a charity quilt with blocks made by members of my guild. Your quilts sparkle. I love your fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love the Lazy Log Cabin quilt... the feeling of the colours are amazing... I keep the idea on my list... hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!