Monday, May 8, 2017

Clothesline Days and AGM

What a treat to be able to hang quilts on the line again! For most of the winter, I didn't have a path through the snow on the deck, so these days, thankfully no path is needed. However, with all the rain we're now getting, it seems to be a challenge to find a dry day!

Do you remember I made a blue house quilt last year? Well, it didn't put much of a dent in my blue stash, so I decided to embrace blue once again. I found a free pattern HERE by Laundry Basket Quilts using Edyta's new Blue Sky collection and started cutting. The quilt uses 10" squares so it sure came together quickly with the large HSTs. 



The quilt top measures 72" x 72" but I want to make it larger, so plan to add a 3" blue border, followed by a 6" pieced border of 9-patches made with the rest of my blues and creams. The final result should be a quilt about 90" x 90".  Wish me luck!

On another nice day, I hung my embroidered log cabin quilt. 

It is the second quilt I made using The Cottage Year pattern designed by Kathy Schmitz. I changed it up a bit, still using the log cabin idea but making the frames larger. I machine quilted a cross hatch design for the embroidered blocks and used a grid pattern for the rest. It finishes at 42" x 56".



Because of all the rain, I had to bring some sunshine into the house so I made a little table topper using some leftover pinwheel blocks. 




The fabric is from Pam Buda's first line of fabrics, Heart of the Prairie. The fabric was left over from making the quilt Stillwater Creek which was one of the projects we did on the Alaskan Quilting Cruise all those years ago with Pam and Lynn Hagemeir as the instructors. I had 10 pinwheel blocks sitting in my closet so it was a pretty easy finish. I used my FMQ foot and made a variation of pea pods in each pinwheel, but without the peas, and then played a bit in the borders. 

A highlight for me last weekend was welcoming Halifax resident, quilt friend and blogger, Linda from Scrapmaster, as a special guest for the 17th Annual AGM of the Ocean Waves Quilt Society, held in my home town, Port Hawkesbury, and hosted by our quilt group, the Tea Thyme Quilters.  You may recall that Linda is 1/4 of the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet that includes myself, Linda, Karen of KaHolly, and Sheila of Sheila's Quilt World. Linda was brought in to do a Free Motion Quilting workshop on Friday. She was amazing, as always, and such a confidence builder to the quilters in attendance. She showed us some wonderful projects and allowed for a "hands-on" kind of day! Thanks to Karen Roy for helping out too! Here is a peek at the day...




  




The AGM was a huge success with almost 90 quilters from across Cape Breton and some from across the Causeway coming to the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre on Saturday, April 29. Linda presented a fabulous show and tell to the membership which garnered lots of attention and lots of oohs and ahhs! 



I really enjoyed getting to spend time with Linda and her Halifax quilter/helper, Karen Chase. Karen and Linda have collaborated on designing several patterns through "Sugarfree Quilted Designs". Some of their patterns are available HERE. They have recently produced new patterns that I bought on the weekend and can't wait to dive into! If you are interested in ordering either or both, just email me or leave a comment and I will send along their contact info. 

It's a great day for quilting!

17 comments:

  1. Your blue and cream quilt is heavenly! I can't wait to see it with the borders. So glad your snowy days are most likely over. Now I hope your rains give way to lots of sunshine. I'd love to go to a FMQ workshop - there is always so much to learn. I need to go check out Sugarfree Quilted Designs - I'm not getting the link to work so I'll google it. 😊 ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of goodness here, but I am especially taken by your big blue stars, and the little topper under the tulips. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an overload of quilty goodness!!! Beautiful blue quilt and another very lovely log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of using 9 patches on the border of the blue and white quilt. It will be stunning. The embroidered log cabin is gorgeous and the table topper is sweet. Lucky you, getting a chance to enjoy Linda's trunk show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had a very busy time! The blue quilt is looking wonderful. i think I may follow your link to look at the pattern, too. Your blue and cream combination is lovely.
    And your embroidered log cabin is another wonder. This looks so good!!
    Even your little table centre is super sweet!
    Lovely flowers, too.
    How great to have a special visitor for your quilt group. So wonderful to enjoy time together and to develop skills as well.
    I always enjoy show and tell when it comes to quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those blue HSTs arranged like that. It is going to be a great finish. The spring table topper is so sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, your quilts are so beautiful. That Village quilt is beautiful and I was most interested in your Kathy Schmitz Log Cabin embroidered blocks. Love her designs and have a kit from her to get cracking on. I have stayed in Port Hawkesbury many times visiting friends you used to live there.
    No warmth here yet; in fact we had snow yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley, I'm speechless. I don't know how to express the way all of your beautiful finishes make me feel. I'm floored at your ability to start and finish so many projects, and have every one be as gorgeous as the one before. In the meantime, all I've completed is a table runner. Ha, ha! I'd better get busy! Speaking of busy, last weekend certainly was! Thank you so much for inviting Linda to the AGM. It was very inspirational to observe her instructional skills at the workshop, and to finally have the opportunity to be in the audience of her trunk show, choreographed very nicely by you and Karen C.! Last but not least, I saw some fantabulous quilts on display all throughout the civic center, made by guild members. It was a great day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness me - my comment just disappeared! I don't believe this I just wrote it again and it has gone again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK so here we go again!! Lucky you meeting up with Linda and Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me again cos I am not going to risk losing more. I love your table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The log cabin looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blue quilt is looking good. phew!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilts Lesley, you make such gorgeous quilts in record time . Sure sit I had been available to visit when Linda was presenting her trunk show , she is awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate auto correct , that should have read wish I had been available 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely newsy post Lesley - nice to see your quilts hanging outside, I love your latest blue one, it will be even more of a beauty with the borders added to it. And cute little pinwheel table topper - a perfect match for your tulips! Your guild meet sounds fabulous - it must have been so inspiring and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your plans for the blue & cream quilt - looking forward to seeing the result! The pink and green table topper is a perfect harbinger of Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!