Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Table Toppers

For the last couple of weeks, I've played with my blue and cream Blue Sky quilt borders and started and finished a few table runners. 

With Blue Sky, the blue and creams are so soothing to work with and I have decided to play with the blocks in between other projects.  I'm just taking my time, cutting strips, making pairs, sewing 3 pairs in a row, and sewing these units together that will result in a checkerboard-style border to add to my Blue Sky quilt top.  I've got a good start, but have lots more units to make. When I put them all together, sure looks like a little quilt, but I plan to keep the borders 3 units wide, like the bottom right unit in the picture.



Once I was "on a roll", I put these away for a bit and pulled out a jelly roll that was collecting dust in my closet, Soho Calico Blues by Benartex.  I used a pattern called "Tango" from The Trendy Table by Heather Peterson of Anka's Treasures. The pattern is all about using strip sets, so out came my Hex 'n More ruler to make my 60 degree triangles.


In no time at all, my table runner went from start to finish and onto the table for a pic. 


But of course, table runners are like chips...I can't eat, or make(!) just one! So out came Linda's Arrows pattern designed by my friend Linda who blogs at Scrapmaster. Visit my previous blog to read all about her visit to our guild last month HERE

These little paper pieced arrows were very addictive...


and the runner was a perfect project to use with some bright fabrics from my stash and some low volume prints for the scrappy backgrounds.


I changed the pattern a tad to add a border using one of the yummy fat quarters I ordered recently from Patch. I quilted it primarily with straight line stitching with some FMQ triangles/arrows in the borders and Ta Da! 


Once these runners were finished, I decided to go searching in my sewing closet and, sure enough, I found a batch of pinwheel blocks left over from another project. I only had to sew 3 more pinwheels together to have enough for another table topper.


I went through my batch of fabrics that arrived recently in my May Fat Quarter subscription from Dinkydoo Fabrics and found a border fabric that I loved!


I decided to keep the quilting at a minimum with all those pieces, doing some diagonal stitching.


So now you have an idea what I've been busy with. I do love to do some small projects once in awhile, and these table toppers fit the bill. What's next? Who knows? It's a great day for quilting! 


18 comments:

  1. I just love "Lesley's Arrows"! You did my pattern proud. And having a quilting addiction is ok. It could be way worse! Your table toppers are all gorgeous. I love your "Tango". So cool! And pinwheels for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the smaller projects once in awhile is so gratifying. I LOVE those scrappy arrows. Of course pinwheels have always been a favorite design of mine too. Great finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects , you did a great job on all three , beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful little finishes, Lesley!
    I love the Blues and Creams in the first photo, and that first runner you finished really calls to me. : )
    The arrows are very unique, and the happy pinwheels make a sweet topper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I love all your table toppers but the Jelly Roll one is just stunning. I love Linda's arrows too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, find blue and cream very soothing to work with. Love your little squares! All of your table runners are winners. I'm not sure which is my favorite. I don't have a Hex 'n More ruler but I might try something like your beautiful Tango with an equilateral triangle ruler. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving all your projects, especially your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful fun day for you. I love the two table runners,especially the first one using the hexie ruler. I need to look up what this pattern is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lesley, your works in progress are fantastic. Your table toppers are awesome. Isn't Tango a fun design! Love those colors. The arrows also are such fun. Love how that topper turned out. Pinwheels has to be my favorite. Oh how I love pinwheels. That fabric collection is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you've been having. Small projects are such fun, and quick to finish up for a great sense of accomplishment. You've got some winners here, for sure! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All beautiful, Leslie. Sherri McConnell showcased a new bag pattern called Aubri and I'm addicted to making these beautiful bags for the past ten days...I've made three bags and my daughter wants one too. Have you made any bags that you loved??

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny what we get in the mood for! Sure love the run of making table toppers you've been on! They are all wonderful, esp. the Tango hexies! And your arrows came out fantabulous! Everything is so bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really did get on a roll with all your table toppers and runners. They are all wonderful finishes and so different. I like the effect created with the arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All lovely Lesley. I've never fallen in love with runners, I usually end up frustrated as I think my mistakes are more obvious. Crazy logic, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute table toppers - how satisfying to have 3 finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you're gonna need more tables to display all your new runners on! LOL They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The strip set table runner is gorgeous! Love the arrows they are about 3 inches wide and 6 inches long? Your pinwheels are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many beautiful finished projects! I love those arrows!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!